Choosing the right venue for your event is one of the most important parts of creating a successful and memorable event.
Selecting an event venue should be one of the first tasks on your to-do list. At Bright Ideas Events Agency we know the importance of this. That’s why we decided to share with you the top common mistakes when selecting an event venue and how we can help you avoid them.
Top 5 Common Mistakes People Make When Selecting an Event Venue
1. Waiting to Start your Event Venue Search and Getting the Last Option Available
The first mistake is waiting to start your venue search. Your event venue search should be the first task on your to-do list for the event. Many of the best venues tend to be booked up to a year in advance, if you wait too long, you may end up with a venue that doesn’t align with your event goals, objectives, brand, audience or budget! We believe that event venue search is a founding step in your event planning.
2. Not Reading the Event Venue Contract in Full
Another big mistake is not reading the contract in full. Some venues have rules that require you to hire specific vendors. For example, some venues will not let you book the venue unless you also book a specific caterer that they work with. In addition, many people don’t know that the venue price is not set and that there is usually room for negotiation on the price. Hiring us will help you understand and negotiate the venue contract.
3. Committing to an Event Venue you Can’t Really Afford
The rule of thumb is that the event venue, including catering, drinks, tables, and chairs should not exceed more than 50-60% of your event budget. The other part of your event expenses should be used for everything else. This can include decorations, invitations, transportation and so on. Many times, people believe that the only price of an event is the venue, they forget about the other items that make an event great. This is one of the common mistakes people make when planning an event. However, you can avoid this by hiring an event expert or producer and receiving their mentorship on how to produce an unforgettable event.
4. Failing to Understand Your Event Audience
We are sure you didn’t hear it here first but- the client comes first! Understanding your target audience is one of your building blocks toward event venue selection. The location should appeal to your guests or else things can go very wrong, very fast. An event expert will help you to divide your target audience into different categories such as demographics, geographics, preferences and so. By knowing who your event participants are you can develop a strategic event plan and understand which event venue would be optimal for your event agenda.
5. Not Taking into Account the Event Location
Event Venues are one of the biggest decisions in your event planning process. That’s why it is a step that you MUST take seriously. Selecting an event venue with a bad location can negatively affect your event success rates.
A few things you should consider when selecting your event location are:
- Event Accessibility: Is the venue accessible to all attendees? Does the venue provide inclusive accessible equipment for people with disabilities?
- Event Accommodations: Some people may travel long distances for your event which means they need a place to stay. Does your venue offer options for accommodation such as hotels, discount rooms or other services?
- Event Transportation: Unless you are hosting a sleepover, your invitees will probably need to find a way to get to the event and get back. And if you have an open bar at your event, many people will try to make as much use of it as possible. This calls for an event transportation intervention. Some of your guests may be from out of town and don’t have their car to use, some may want to use public transportation, avoid parking fees or simply want to walk to get their steps in! Event transportation is a crucial component in your location selection.
Keeping in mind these little things is a common mistake for event planners. Having an event expert by your side will ensure you don’t miss out on these dealbreakers.
How We Can Help You Avoid Common Event Mistakes?
Ok, we know you don’t want to hear this but making event mistakes is not rare. Most event planners make mistakes- and that’s ok! It’s human. That being said, it doesn’t mean that we can’t strive toward perfection…
These mistakes can be easily avoided by hiring an experienced event expert like Sharon Bonner. The right event expert can guide you through the process and make sure you pick the best event venue. We can help identify your event goals, and consider your event brand to overcome any event management conflict. Once you develop this bigger view of event understanding you can choose the most appropriate venue that fits your event strategy.
How To Find the Perfect Event Venue?
Are you looking for help in selecting a venue for your next event? You are at the right place. We would love to help! Our event expert has the unexploited experience that can help you overcome any event mistake. An experienced event expert will guide you through your event development and optimize your event ROI. We know it’s tempting to put on a strong face and try to plan an event independently but don’t risk your event chances to succeed. Give yourself the gift of an event expert and wow your event guests today. Mix and Match your consultation package and start working on your award-winning event!