As event planners, we have a responsibility to reduce our environmental impact and promote sustainability. From sourcing sustainable materials to reducing waste, there are numerous eco-friendly event practices that we can adopt to create more environmentally conscious events.
In this blog post, we’ll explore how we can make our events more sustainable.
1. Choose a sustainable venue
When selecting a venue for your event, consider its sustainability credentials. Look for a forum implementing eco-friendly practices, such as using renewable energy sources, green venues and reducing waste.
Additionally, choose a venue that is easily accessible by public transport to reduce carbon emissions from transportation.
2. Source sustainable materials
From decorations to catering, many materials go into creating an event. Consider sourcing sustainable materials such as biodegradable cutlery, plates, and cups made from bamboo or cornstarch.
If you must use plastic, choose materials that can be recycled or repurposed.
3. Reduce waste
One of the most significant ways to reduce our environmental impact is by minimizing waste. Implement a waste management plan that includes recycling and composting, and ensure attendees know where to dispose of their waste.
Additionally, consider using digital communication instead of printed materials and providing reusable water bottles and coffee cups to attendees.
4. Use renewable energy sources
Power consumption is a significant source of greenhouse gas emissions, but there are ways to reduce your event’s energy usage. Consider using renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, to power your event.
Additionally, ensure that all lighting, equipment and activity stations are turned off when not in use.
5. Offset your carbon footprint
Despite our best efforts, events can still have a significant carbon footprint. Consider offsetting your event’s carbon emissions by investing in carbon offset projects, such as reforestation or renewable energy initiatives.
Our friends at TSEF have great tools to measure your carbon footprint before your attendees set foot in the venue.
6. Partner with sustainable vendors
When choosing vendors for your event, look for those that prioritize sustainability. Consider partnering with local, organic caterers or florists that use sustainable practices.
Additionally, consider using vendors that have eco-friendly products, such as reusable banners or biodegradable promotional items.
Check out these green activities at one of our events.
Creating a sustainable event is not just good for the environment, but it can also positively impact your brand’s reputation and enhance the attendee experience. By choosing a sustainable venue, sourcing sustainable materials, reducing waste, using renewable energy sources, offsetting your carbon footprint, and partnering with sustainable vendors, you can significantly contribute to creating a more environmentally friendly event.
As event planners, we have the power to impact the planet positively, and it’s up to us to adopt eco-friendly practices to ensure that our events are sustainable and responsible.
Request a quote today to discuss sustainable options for your upcoming event.
1. Choose a sustainable venue:
– The International Standards Organization (ISO) has published guidelines for sustainable event management: https://www.iso.org/standard/62135.html
– The Green Venue Report provides an annual ranking of the most sustainable venues in the world: https://www.greenvenuereport.com/
2. Source sustainable materials:
– Sustainable Materials for Event Planners: https://www.eventmanagerblog.com/sustainable-materials-for-event-planners
– Sustainable Event Management: A Practical Guide: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319953188
3. Reduce waste:
– A Guide to Waste Management at Events: https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/about/our-campus/sustainability/sustainable-events/guide-waste-management-events
– 10 Tips for Hosting Zero Waste Events: https://www.sustainabilityconsulting.com/blog/2019/6/18/10-tips-for-hosting-zero-waste-events
4. Use renewable energy sources:
– Renewable Energy for Events: https://www.powerful-thinking.org.uk/
– How to Make Your Event More Sustainable by Using Renewable Energy: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/blog/sustainable-event-renewable-energy-ds00/
5. Offset your carbon footprint:
– Carbon Offset Projects: https://www.carbonfootprint.com/carbonoffsetprojects.html
– Carbon Offsetting for Events: https://www.meetgreen.com/blog/carbon-offsetting-for-events/
6. Partner with sustainable vendors:
– 5 Tips for Sourcing Sustainable Suppliers: https://www.meetpie.com/Modules/Features/FeatureDetails.aspx?FeatureID=489
– Sustainable Event Procurement: A Practical Guide: https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783030528074